The goal of City and Country’s Sustainability Committee is to reduce the School’s environmental footprint in all possible ways. Made up of faculty, staff, parents, and Upper School students, the members of the committee represent several constituencies of the School, enabling us to consider a broad view. In a time when environmental consciousness and health are crucial, we are proud to raise awareness in our community of the importance of sustainability, and to do our part by encouraging us all to be responsible citizens.
Significant strides have been made in recent years. Among the many accomplishments:
- A school-wide composting program
- Compostable paper goods and cups
- Clearly labeled recycling centers in central areas
- Mandatory classroom recycling bins
- Reusable drinking cups in classrooms and staff lounge
- Scrap wood from building construction used in Shop classes
- Filtered water coolers that run straight from the source
- 100% eco-friendly cleaning agents
- Xs-made light-switch signs (to reduce electricity use)
- LED bulbs and fixtures where possible
- “Energy Star” appliances
- Air conditioners set above 70 degrees
- Increased greenery around entire campus, including the “Library Garden”
Formerly known as the “Green” and “Wellness” Committee, the Sustainability Committee works hard to meet our goal, but we have a way to go. If you are interested in joining our efforts, please be in touch.